Foghorn (A Call to Action!)
Flotsam (what we’re obsessed with right now)
- This reports on the activities of the WWF is shocking and damning. WWF Funds Guards Who Have Tortured And Killed People.
- I am always here for deep-sea art.
Jetsam (what we’re reading from around the web)
- Every so often Atlas Obscura is amazing. An Artist, a Shantyboat, and the Lost History of American River Communities
- Dirty Diapers, Used Needles, and More: The Worst Things Americans Try to Recycle.
- San Diego man charged with catching and keeping great white shark.
- Scientists Capture Rare Footage of Mysterious ‘Type D’ Killer Whale, Possibly a New Species.
- Ports That Boomed in China May Never Be the Same as Trade Shifts.
- An ambitious project aims to map the entire ocean floor. It could also open it up to mining.
- Humans Are Taking Up a Surprisingly Large Swath of Antarctica.
- Applied marine hyperspectral imaging; coral bleaching from a spectral viewpoint.
- I remember when this call for proposals first went out and damn if they didn’t keep on trucking. DARPA Wants to Turn Sea Life Into a Giant Submarine Detection Network.
- We should explore the deep ocean, not mine it, by the phenomenal Diva Amon!
- USS Fitzgerald: A Warship Doomed By the Trump Navy.
- This is great little slice of life story from gCaptain. Do You Have Any Weapons Onboard?
- CONSUME. OBEY. Behind the Hype of Apple’s Garbage Plan to End Mining.
Lagan (what we’re reading from the peer-reviewed literature)
- Bayley and friends (2019) Capturing complexity: field-testing the use of ‘structure from motion’ derived virtual models to replicate standard measures of reef physical structure. DOI: 10.7717/peerj.6540.
- Böni (2018) Biophysics and Biomimetics of Hagfish Slime.
- This PhD thesis contains more than you’ll ever want to know about the incredible properties of Hagfish slime.
- Toczydlowski and Waller (2019) Drift happens: Molecular genetic diversity and differentiation among populations of jewelweed (Impatiens capensis Meerb.) reflect fragmentation of floodplain forests. DOI: 10.1111/mec.15072,
- Kohl and friends (2019) Public views about gene editing wildlife for conservation. DOI: 10.1111/cobi.13310.
- Valle and friends (2019) Rapid prototyping of decision‐support tools for conservation. DOI: 10.1111/cobi.13305.
- Cormier and Londsdale (2019) Risk assessment for deep sea mining: An overview of risk. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2019.02.056.
- Torney and friends (2019) A comparison of deep learning and citizen science techniques for counting wildlife in aerial survey images. DOI: 10.1111/2041-210X.13165.
Feel free to share your own Foghorns, Flotsam, Jetsam, Lagan, Shipping News, Driftwood, and Derelicts in the comments below. If you enjoy Southern Fried Science, consider contributing to our Patreon campaign. For just $5 per month, you can support the SFS Writers Fund, which helps compensate your favorite ocean science and conservation bloggers for their efforts.