Foghorn (A Call to Action!)
- Shameless plug for my Patreon! This month, subscribers who sign up for the Ocean Pun Sticker reward will get this glorious squat lobster in high quality vinyl. Suitable for dive gear, laptops, field equipment, or anywhere luxuriously goofy stickers are displayed.
Flotsam (what we’re obsessed with right now)
- Gator falls!
Jetsam (what we’re reading from around the web)
- How Historic Flooding in the Midwest Could Fuel the Gulf of Mexico ‘Dead Zone’.
- Inland Icelanders Burned Whale Bones for Warmth: An archaeological find shows that whale bones were sometimes imported inland to use as fuel.
- Capitalism sure is weird. Solved: The 35-Year-Old Mystery of the Garfield Phones on a French Beach.
- U.S. Judge Strikes Down Trump Order Opening Arctic, Atlantic Areas to Oil and Gas Leasing.
- Fish caught eating ducks at Essex shopping centre lake removed because it ‘upset children’.
- Check out this interview with me: How do you square a passion for the ocean with deep-sea mining?
- How Alarming Is It That Islands Are Just Disappearing?
- PNG seabed mining company delisted from stock exchange.
- The Worst Disease Ever Recorded: A doomsday fungus known as Bd has condemned more species to extinction than any other pathogen.
Shipping News (academic and ocean policy wonkery)
- The Insider’s Playbook to the Con X Tech Prize: Tips from Round 1 participants on getting the most value for your project team
Feel free to share your own Foghorns, Flotsam, Jetsam, Lagan, Shipping News, Driftwood, and Derelicts in the comments below. If you enjoy Southern Fried Science, consider contributing to our Patreon campaign. For just $5 per month, you can support the SFS Writers Fund, which helps compensate your favorite ocean science and conservation bloggers for their efforts.