Flotsam (what we’re obsessed with right now)
- ‘We Are Not Prepared to Die’: Island Nations Push Ambitious Plan at UN Climate Talks.
- This is beautiful: What the ocean floor can tell us about climate change.
- Plastic pollution discovered at deepest point of ocean.
- The Most Terrifying Climate Disasters of 2018.
Jetsam (what we’re reading from around the web)
- The Unbearable Maleness of the UN Climate Talks.
- Climate Change Has Wiped Out Most of the World’s Oldest Sea Ice.
- Why Does Halibut Cost So Much? There are good reasons why putting halibut on your plate can strain your wallet.
- Jellyfish are not an ecological dead end.
- Okay Google, Let’s Map Some Mud: A massive new map of the world’s mudflats may help save critical shorebird habitat.
- New giant salamander! Beneath the Waters: A Giant Discovery.
- The orca and the orca catcher: How a generation of killer whales was taken from Puget Sound.
- Conservation Groups Sue Trump Administration Over Atlantic Seismic Surveying.
- Nine Coastal States Join Lawsuit to Ban Offshore Air Gun Blasts Okayed by Trump.
- The grind: This week in Deep-sea Mining news.
- The US Lost 1 Warship in WWI. 100 Years Later, We Know What Caused the Sinking.
- How whale sharks saved a Philippine fishing town and its sea life.
- Conservationists clash over coral reefs. Shenzhen divers spark row over the role of human intervention in reef protection.
- What really powers your smartphone and electric car.
Lagan (what we’re reading from the peer-reviewed literature)
- Mevencamp and friends (2018) Responses of an abyssal meiobenthic community to short-term burial with crushed nodule particles in the South-East Pacific. DOI: 10.5194/bg-2018-489.
- Donald and friends (2018) Loss of forest intactness elevates global extinction risk in birds. DOI: 10.1111/acv.12469.
- Eom and Wood (2018) The ventilation mechanism of the Pacific hagfish Eptatretus stoutii. DOI: 10.1111/jfb.13885.
- Schneider and friends (2018) Past, Present, and Future Approaches Using Computer Vision for Animal Re‐Identification from Camera Trap Data. DOI: 10.1111/2041-210X.13133.
- Cheng and friends (2018) The biogeography of invasion in tropical and temperate seagrass beds: Testing interactive effects of predation and propagule pressure. DOI: 10.1111/ddi.12850.
- Donlan and Luque (2018) Exploring the causes of seafood fraud: A meta-analysis on mislabeling and price. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2018.11.022.
Shipping News (academic and ocean policy wonkery)
Feel free to share your own Foghorns, Flotsam, Jetsam, Lagan, Shipping News, Driftwood, and Derelicts in the comments below. If you enjoy Southern Fried Science, consider contributing to our Patreon campaign. For just $5 per month, you can support the SFS Writers Fund, which helps compensate your favorite ocean science and conservation bloggers for their efforts.