Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Follow marine conservation biologist Julia Spaet on twitter!
- Nearly half of freshwater turtles are at risk of extinction. By John Platt, for Revelator.
- Fishing bots “going dark” raise suspicion of illegal fishing. By Scott Neuman, for NPR.
- Ocean sensors can track progress on climate goals. By Joellen Russell, for Nature News.
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- Changing venom. By Dana Sackett, for the Fisheries blog.
- Krill can break down microplastics, but that won’t save the ocean. By Calla Wahlquist, for the Guardian.
- Next Steps on the Arctic’s Newest International Agreement. By Scott Highleyman, for the Ocean Conservancy blog.
- Biodiversity in the oceans exploded after the dinosaurs fell. By Charles Choi, for InsideScience.
- Arctic birds carry signs of an “Atlantifying” ocean. By Cheryl Katz, for Hakai.
Please add your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!
If you appreciate my shark research and conservation outreach, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Any amount is appreciated, and supporters get exclusive rewards!