Foghorn (A Call to Action!)
- It ain’t going to be easy, but it isn’t over yet and none of us have earned the right to quit. What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like.
Flotsam (what we’re obsessed with right now)
- Goats are magnificent. We don’t deserve goats. The Dark Story of How Scientists Used Goats to Solve the Bends.
- There’s a new full-ocean capable submarine in town, and for $50 million, you could buy it! Discovery and Science Channel to Document the Five Deeps Expedition in Limited Series.
Jetsam (what we’re reading from around the web)
- Prehistoric sharks feasted on flying reptiles, fossil reveals.
- I can’t believe it’s not blubber! Margarine Once Contained a Whole Lot More Whale.
- Reminder: the only people who “don’t get seasick” just haven’t spent enough time at sea. There’s a sea state for everyone, and one day Beaufort will come a knockin’. Seasickness. What Is It? What Causes It? Is There Any Hope?
- Will World War Three Be Fought Over Water?
- Eat more pollock and less squid to save fish stocks, urges charity.
- It’s a beaut! Virginia Institute of Marine Science Takes Delivery of Research Vessel Designed by JMS Naval Architects.
- ‘Historic’ Agreement Bans Commercial Fishing Across a Vast Swath of the Arctic.
- Dozens Of People Rally Together To Rescue Massive Humpback Whale Stranded On Argentina Beach.
- Yikes. That’s really close! Photos Show Confrontation Between USS Decatur and a Chinese Navy Warship in South China Sea.
- Hakai continues with the great ocean jobs articles! Coastal Job: Adaptive Outdoor Adventure Leader.
- Richard Dreyfuss Thinks Jaws Can Be Improved By Adding a Digital Shark. Scientists are skeptical.
Lagan (what we’re reading from the peer-reviewed literature)
- Geilert and friends (2018) On the formation of hydrothermal vents and cold seeps in the Guaymas Basin, Gulf of California. DOI: 10.5194/bg-15-5715-2018.
- Craik (2018) Implementing adaptive management in deep seabed mining: Legal and institutional challenges. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2018.09.001.
- Cullain and friends (2018) Potential impacts of finfish aquaculture on eelgrass (Zostera marina) beds and possible monitoring metrics for management: a case study in Atlantic Canada. DOI: 10.7717/peerj.5630.
- Sayer (2018) The anatomy of an excellent review paper. DOI: 10.1111/1365-2435.13207.
- Willi and friends (2018) Identifying Animal Species in Camera Trap Images using Deep Learning and Citizen Science. DOI: 10.1111/2041-210X.13099.
Shipping News (academic and ocean policy wonkery)
- Where did newly hired TT N. American asst. professors of ecology get their bachelor’s degrees?
- PhD supervisors: be better mentors.
Driftwood (what we’re reading on dead trees)
- It’s not ocean-related (unless you count the sea of social media) but it is important. LikeWar: The Weaponization of Social Media by P.W. Singer.
Derelicts (favorites from the deep archive)
- Abnormal is the New Normal: Shifting Baselines, Polar Vortices, and Climate Change.
- Herring Wars: Quotas, Conflicts, and Climate Change in the North Atlantic.
- When I talk about Climate Change, I don’t talk about science.
Feel free to share your own Foghorns, Flotsam, Jetsam, Lagan, Shipping News, Driftwood, and Derelicts in the comments below. If you enjoy Southern Fried Science, consider contributing to our Patreon campaign. For just $5 per month, you can support the SFS Writers Fund, which helps compensate your favorite ocean science and conservation bloggers for their efforts.