Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Follow Louise Chavarie, an Arctic aquatic ecologist, on twitter!
- A squid-skin inspired invisibility cloak. From Nature News research updates.
- Underwater noise pollution disturbs fish, too. From CBC News.
- NOAA publishes list of global fisheries and their risks to marine mammals. By John Cannon, for MongaBay
- Antarctic ice melting faster than thought. By Jonathan Watts, for the Guardian.
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- Why did this fish evolve a glowing eye spike? By Troy Farah, for Smithsonian Magazine.
- Spying on whales to save them. By Marguerite Holloway, for the New Yorker.
- Why red coral lives 500 years. By Liz Langley, for National Geographic
- Rising CO2 levels could be messing with squid. By Maddie Stone, for Earther.
Please add your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!
If you appreciate my shark research and conservation outreach, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Any amount is appreciated, and supporters get exclusive rewards!