Jacques Week begins this Sunday, July 22, 2018! Join us for a week-long celebration of the ocean documentarian who started it all! Without Jacques there would be no Blue Planet, no Mission Blue, and no Shark Week. All next week we’re watching classic Jacques Cousteau Documentaries, discussing ocean science and conservation, and celebrating all things Ocean!
Most of these films will available online. Some will require purchase. We’ve provided links to the for-purchase options and offer alternates if you can’t find them. It’s become nearly impossible to find copies of the Jacques Cousteau Odyssey collection, so, though this series includes some of my all time favorites, we’re going to phase them out this year and instead lean more heavily on River Explorations for more recent Cousteau work. Links to all available films can be found at the JacquesWeek2017 YouTube playlist.
Jacques Week is a collective viewing experience. We’ll provide links to each piece of media, due a countdown on Twitter, and then everyone hits play at the same(ish) time and we watch these incredible documentaries together.
Sunday, July 22
- 2000 EST: The Undersea World Of Jacques Cousteau – Lagoon of Lost Ships
- 2100 EST: The Undersea World Of Jacques Cousteau – The Sea Elephant
- 2150 EST: Aquaman Trailer (TBD)
Monday, July 23
- 2000 EST: The Undersea World Of Jacques Cousteau: Unexpected Voyage of Pepito and Cristobal
- 2100 EST: The Undersea World Of Jacques Cousteau: The Smile of the Walrus
- 2155 EST: Jacques Cousteau’s Underwater Village in the Red Sea
Tuesday, July 24
Wednesday, July 25
- 2000 EST: River Explorations – Legacy of a Lost World
- 2100 EST: The Undersea World Of Jacques Cousteau: Secrets of the Sunken Caves
- 2150: World without Sun Trailer
Thursday, July 26
- 2000 EST: World without Sun
- 2145 EST: Jacques Cousteau’s Legacy Documented by Son in Memoir
Friday, July 27
- 2000 EST: The Undersea World Of Jacques Cousteau: The Dragons of the Galapagos
- 2100 EST: The Undersea World Of Jacques Cousteau: Cuba, Waters of Destiny (cameo by Fidel Castro)
- 2030 EST: The Odyssey (Jacques Cousteau biopic starring Lambert Wilson, Audrey Tautou, Pierre Niney)
See you this Sunday for Jacques Week!
If you enjoy Southern Fried Science, consider contributing to our Patreon campaign. For just $5 per month, you can support the SFS Writers Fund, which helps compensate your favorite ocean science and conservation bloggers for their efforts.