Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Follow Erin Meyer, the director of conservation programs for the Seattle Aquarium, on twitter!
- Piracy Incident Reported in First Half of 2018 at Lowest Level in 10 Years. From GCaptain news alerts.
- She said she didn’t know it was illegal to take conchs. She’s heading to jail anyway. By Gwen Filosa, for the Miami Herald.
- Canada Post releases new shark stamps! By me, for Gizmodo’s Earther.
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- Surfing For Science: A New Way To Gather Data For Ocean And Coastal Research. By Nathan Rott, for NPR news.
- Are the fish in Florida’s polluted waters safe to eat? By Ed Killer, for the Treasure Coast Palm.
- What Were Two Humpback Whales Doing with a Dead Gray Whale Calf? By Erica Cirino, for Hakai.
- Warm water threatens what should be bumper year for Fraser River sockeye. From CBC news.
- Canada’s high Arctic glaciers at risk of disappearing completely. By Ashifa Kassam, for the Guardian.
- Taiwan Pushed to Confront Work Abuse in High Seas Fishing Fleet. By Nick Aspinwall, for OceansDeeply.
- Bold initiative aims to protect coral reefs in the Dominican Republic. By Greg Asner, for MongaBay
- Groupers on the Comeback in the Caymans. By Ben Shouse, for Scientific American.
- Seashell Souvenirs Are Killing Protected Marine Life. By Tina Deines, for National Geographic
Please add your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!
If you appreciate my shark research and conservation outreach, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Any amount is appreciated, and supporters get exclusive rewards!