Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Follow the Pacific salmon network on twitter!
- Looking for plastic free fish? Here’s one to put on the menu! By Maggie Gillis, for CBC news
- Scientists find new deep sea species off Java. BBC slideshow.
- Unexpected walruses crowd Alaska beach. By the Associated Press.
- The bigger the mother fish, the more babies she has. By Christopher Joyce, for NPR’s All Things Considered. (And see this paper that Andrew and I were involved with that extends this argument to recreational fishing ethics).
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- Inside the biomedical revolution to save horseshoe crabs. By Deborah Cramer, for Audubon magazine.
- Arctic sea ice is getting younger. By Chelsea Harvey, for Scientific American
- Maine’s lobster boom won’t last, but here’s what fisheries are coming next. By Bill Trotter, for the Bangor Daily News.
- Meet the shrimp with superpowers to see colors we can only imagine. By Paul Tullis, for OceansDeeply.
- This jellyfish looks like a plastic bag. By Elaina Zachos, for National Geographic.
- Toxic plastic pollution is traveling up the food chain. By Erica Cirino, for the Revelator.
Please add your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!
If you appreciate my shark research and conservation outreach, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Any amount is appreciated, and supporters get exclusive rewards!