Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Follow fisheries biologist Justin Rizzari on twitter!
- Commercial fishing banned across much of the Arctic. By Fiona Harvey, for the Guardian.
- Slavery with your seafood. By the Save Our Seas Foundation blog.
- The top fish books for kids. By Abigail Lynch, for the Fisheries Blog.
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- Supreme Court refuses to take up Martins Beach case. Surfers, beachgoers relieved. By Peter Fimrite, for the San Francisco Chronicle. This case is important for the right of public access to beaches, and involved a wealthy Californian who tried to keep people off of “his” stretch of beach.
- Indonesian Tsunami Was Powered by a Deadly Combo of Tectonics and Geography. By Andrea Thompson, for Scientific American. A fascinating (but scary) look at what made this tsunami so powerful and deadly.
- Largely banned industrial chemicals could wipe out killer whales, study warns. By Shreya Dasgupta, for MongaBay. Harmful chemicals can continue to wreak environmental havoc even years after they’ve been banned.
Please add your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!
If you appreciate my shark research and conservation outreach, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Any amount is appreciated, and supporters get exclusive rewards!