Transcript below.Read More
Foghorn (A Call to Action!)
- Stop raising awareness already (and start translating information into action).
- Scott Pruitt still has a job [As of 16:59 on 4/8/2018 ~Ed.]. A Running List of Wild Shit Scott Pruitt Hasn’t Been Fired For (Yet).
- What to up you outreach skills? Sign up for Andrew Lewin’s Podcasting for Environmental Communications course.
Flotsam (what we’re obsessed with right now)
- Smart phones. As you know I have a love/hate relationship with tech and the resources needed to fuel our increasingly demanding hardware. Now, we’ve got the most clear picture yet of the impact of smartphones on the environment and it’s not pretty.
The Levee (A featured project that emerged from Oceandotcomm)
- Knitting *and* environmental justice? Sign me up! Stitching Hope for the Coast: Creative pieces that celebrate coastal optimism for Louisiana.
Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Watch this sixgill shark swim in the coastal waters near Vancouver, in this clip from the Vancouver Aquarium!
- Follow Al Harry, Australian shark researcher, on twitter! Al has just joined, so welcome him!
- Sea lice feast of fresh meat as teenager left bloodied. Video from the Guardian. My official comment on this story can be found here. Also, here’s a video of some similar creatures skeletonizing a whole pig in a few days. (It is worth noting that some scientists are skeptical of this explanation of what happened to this Australian teenager.)
- Learn about whalefalls, an important underwater habitat made up of dead whales. Video and story by Julie Takahashi, for the Houston Chronicle
- How do you tag a jellyfish? By Diane Richards, for the Monterrey Bay Aquarium’s Conservation and Science Blog. Read More