Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Rays chew. Who knew? From this paper by Kolmann and friends
- Follow Dr. Leanne Currey @LeanneMCurrey, a postdoc working on the Global FinPrint project, on twitter! Follow her for great videos of sharks and other marine life approaching baited underwater video stations around the world.
- Our friends at the Fisheries Blog surveyed their readers about their peer review habits. Do these results match your experience?
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- New giant freshwater air-breathing fish discovered (by Brian Clark Howard)
- Operation Jolly Roger: inside the secret world of Scottish fishing pirates (by Rob Edwards)
- New reports show that both “walking sharks” and sharks in the Mediterranean Sea are in trouble. (Both stories by John Platt)
Feel free to share your own cuttings and spoils in the comments below!