Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Follow Katelyn Heman, a marine conservation biologist working at the Georgia Aquarium, on twitter!
- What this walking fish can teach us about evolution. By Sarah Gibbens, for National Geographic
- Fish forego sleep thanks to this molecule in their brain. From Nature’s Animal Behavior news.
- Microplastics pollute even the most remote parts of the ocean. By Sandra Laville, for the Guardian.
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- Protecting Panama’s humpback whales from ship collisions. By Mike Gaworecki, for MongaBay.
- Polar bears need disappearing sea ice in more ways than one. By Randall Hyman, for Oceans Deeply
- Marine microbes exchange fire with subcellular weapons. By Jennifer Frazer, for Scientific American.
- We’re climate researchers, and our work was turned into fake news. From the Conversation.
Please add your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!
If you appreciate my shark research and conservation outreach, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Any amount is appreciated, and supporters get exclusive rewards!