Foghorn (A Call to Action!)
- The kids are alright. I’m suing the U.S. government for causing the climate change crisis #YouthVGov.
- This fleet of underwater robots will help citizen scientists make the case for ocean conservation. Find out how you can get yours through the SEE Initiative!
Flotsam (what we’re obsessed with right now)
- This comic comes at you like a kick in the teeth. Can Climate Science Be Rendered Conservative-Friendly? How to pitch environmentalism to climate change deniers.
Jetsam (what we’re reading from around the web)
- The Sailors Who Hunt Garbage for Science.
- Will China cast its vote for Antarctica, and the planet?
- Oldest Intact Shipwreck Discovered in Black Sea.
- Underwater Archaeologists discover oldest olive groves in Croatia dating 3,500 years.
- How ‘viper island’ started a wave of coastal conservation.
- ‘Ghostly’ Dumbo Octopus Makes Hypnotizing Appearance in New Deep-Sea Footage.
- New Report Lays Out a Plan to Suck Carbon Out of the Sky.
- China completes deep-sea research mission in Mariana Trench.
- Hawaiian island erased by powerful hurricane: ‘The loss is a huge blow’.
- Climate Change Is Already Damaging American Democracy.
- This Weirdly Geometric Iceberg Is Freaking Us Out.
- Marine ranching: Can China put the environment first?
- Pipeline proposals to test Delmarva’s appetite for natural gas.
Lagan (what we’re reading from the peer-reviewed literature)
- Freitag and friends (2018) Are you thinking what i’m thinking? A conceptual modeling approach to understand stakeholders’ assessments of the fate of chesapeake oysters. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2018.10.011.
- Courtene-Jones and friends (2018) Consistent microplastic ingestion by deep-sea invertebrates over the last four decades (1976–2015), a study from the North East Atlantic. DOI: 10.1016/j.envpol.2018.10.090.
- Chang and friends (2018) Trophic structure and energy flow in a shallow-water hydrothermal vent: Insights from a stable isotope approach. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0204753.
- Hassanali (2018) Approaching the implementing agreement to UNCLOS on biodiversity in ABNJ: Exploring favorable outcomes for CARICOM. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2018.09.030.
- de Soto (2018) Peer-Reviewed Studies on the Effects of Anthropogenic Noise on Marine Invertebrates: From Scallop Larvae to Giant Squid. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4939-2981-8.
Shipping News (academic and ocean policy wonkery)
Derelicts (favorites from the deep archive)
- A new article, but a throwback to Make for the Planet Borneo this summer: Make for the Planet 2018 Coverage by SEEED Ranger.
Feel free to share your own Foghorns, Flotsam, Jetsam, Lagan, Shipping News, Driftwood, and Derelicts in the comments below. If you enjoy Southern Fried Science, consider contributing to our Patreon campaign. For just $5 per month, you can support the SFS Writers Fund, which helps compensate your favorite ocean science and conservation bloggers for their efforts.