Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Follow the official account of the US Sawfish Recovery Team on twitter!
- The harmful algal blooms in Florida, explained. From the Ocean Conservancy blog. This environmental news story has resulted in not only heartbreak, but confusion. This explainer post by Ocean Conservancy experts answers many of the questions that folks have been asking me for weeks.
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- How Whale Poop Could Counter Calls to Resume Commercial Hunting. By Mike Shanahan, for Scientific American.
- Why Are Puffins Vanishing? The Hunt for Clues Goes Deep (Into Their Burrows). By John Schwartz, for the New York Times. Be sure to check out Andrew’s twitter thread about puffins, the origin for “The Last Jedi’s” porgs.
- A controversial comeback for a highly prized tuna. By Patrick Whittle, for the Associated Press.
- Taking it slow can reduce Arctic shipping’s impact on whales. By Matt Pine, for MongaBay.
- Invasive species are riding on plastic across the ocean. By Whitney Pipkin, for National Geographic. Yet another problem with ocean trash- it serves as mobile habitat for invasive species.
- Fish populations could rise in warming climate with better management. By Fiona Harvey, for the Guardian.
Please add your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!
If you appreciate my shark research and conservation outreach, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Any amount is appreciated, and supporters get exclusive rewards!