Amazing fish eyes, the real cost of halibut, and protecting local species: Thursday Afternoon Dredging, December 13, 2018
Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Follow UBC’s wildlife conservation economics lab on twitter!
- The Deep-Sea Fish with the Telescopic Tubular Eyes. By Craig McClain, for Deep Sea News.
- How to take action to help endangered species near you. A Revelator News Podcast by John Platt.
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- Why does halibut cost so much? By Larry Pynn, for Hakai.
- Feed a fishery, starve a seabird. By John Cannon, for Mongabay
- What I learned from an ocean radioactivity testing project. By Ken Buesseler, for Scientific American
- Unexpected consequences of hurricanes. By Dana Sackett, for the Fisheries Blog
- The effects of anti-depressants span generations in fish. By Diana Kwon, for the Scientist.
- Surviving Great Barrier Reef corals have greater heatwave resistance. By Ben Smee, for the Guardian
- What does climate change mean for our oceans? By Sarah Cooley, for the Ocean Conservancy blog
Please add your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!
If you appreciate my shark research and conservation outreach, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Any amount is appreciated, and supporters get exclusive rewards!