Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Follow Kelsey James, a graduate student studying the age and growth of batoid fishes, on twitter!
- Ancient maps show islands that don’t really exist. By Greg Miller, for National Geographic.
- Global registry of invasive species is a milestone for conservation. By Jonathan Watts, for the Guardian.
- Want to buy a tshirt, mug, or phone case featuring porgs and puffins? Sure you do! Art by Jen Richards.
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- Mesoamerican reefs get improving bill of health! By John Cannon, for MongaBay.
- Legacy pollution: an unfortunate inheritance. By Dana Sackett, for the Fisheries Blog.
- Switzerland’s lobster laws are not paragons of science-based policy. By Doctor Zen, for Neurodojo.
- Conservation helps Maine lobster, and Maine lobstermen. By Patrick Whittle, for the AP.
- How brittlestars “see” without eyes. By Giorgia Guglielmi, for Nature News.
Please add your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!
If you appreciate my shark research and conservation outreach, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Any amount is appreciated, and supporters get exclusive rewards!