Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Watch this basking shark breach!
- Follow GreatLakesCisco, a freshwater fish restoration citizen science project run by Ph.D. student Ellen George, on twitter!
- Remember when 2014 was the hottest year on record? Then 2015? Now it’s 2016. By Brad Plumer, for Vox.
- Dozens of false killers whales mysteriously strand in the Everglades. By Merri Kennedy, for NPR.
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- What does China’s ivory ban mean for elephants? By John Platt, for Extinction Countdown
- Private capital investment in conservation is on the rise. By Mike Gaworecki, for MongaBay
- What it’s like to be an underwater crime scene investigator. By Ella Morton, for Slate’s Atlas Obscura.
Share your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!