If you’re coming over from CollegeScholarships.org to check out some of David Shiffman’s work before voting for the 2011 Blogging Scholarship, welcome! Here are a selection of some of David’s influential, informative, and award-winning posts.
If you’ve never been to Southern Fried Science before and want to get an idea of who this Shiffman bloke is and what he’s about (hint: it has something to do with sharks), check out his two bench-mark posts:
- Shark Conservation: The problem, the goal, and how to get there
- Dolphin-safe tuna: conservation success story or ecological disaster?
If you’re looking for controversy and a critical approach to the practice of field work, check out this great white ruckus:
- Check out “Expedition Great White” on the National Geographic Channel!
- Expedition Great White: A response from Dr. Michael Domeier
- Severely injured great white shark found, are scientists responsible?
- Full video of injured shark shows numerous natural injuries
If sharks aren’t your cup o’ chum, check out some of his posts on broader issues in marine science:
- Turtle excluder devices: analysis of resistance to a successful conservation policy
- 10 misrepresentations about climate change
- Louis Agassiz and a brief history of early United States marine biology
- Back from the Brink: Victories in Conservation
And finally, here you can watch David Shiffman presenting his own research:
Hi, We would like to chat to David Shiffman on a conservation radio show in South Africa on his love for and call for shark conservation
Hi, Tim! I’m happy to help. Shoot me an e-mail at WhySharksMatter AT Gmail DOT com.