Foghorn (A Call to Action!)
- We’re live from the 25th General Assembly of the International Seabed Authority. Watch here!
- Update your indices. This marine worm is called the Sand Striker.
Flotsam (what we’re obsessed with right now)
- This is very much not normal. An Extremely Rare February Typhoon Is Approaching Guam.
- US Coast Guard Officer Suspected Of Terror Plot Faces Charges.
Jetsam (what we’re reading from around the web)
- The Gulf of Mexico Triangle: Assessing Movements of Large Pelagic Fish Across Multiple National Boundaries.
- The Marshall Islands Are Disappearing.
- An Iceberg 30 Times the Size of Manhattan Is About to Break Off Antarctica.
- This is a very good question. Why’s A Big Red Tanker Drifting Near Boston?
- Coastal Job: Maritime Funeral Provider. Captain Brad White grants eco-conscious people their final wish: a blue burial.
- China’s Navy Seeks New Islands to Conquer.
- Antarctic scientist captures extraordinary footage of Orcas feeding in the Ross Sea.
- Amid Hunt for Malaysian Plane, Ocean Swims With Missing Vessels.
- See the Pixelated Desert That Powers Your Phone Battery.
Lagan (what we’re reading from the peer-reviewed literature)
- Jones and friends (2019) Existing environmental management approaches relevant to deep-sea mining. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2019.01.006.
- Christiansen and friends (2019) Potential effects of deep seabed mining on pelagic and benthopelagic biota. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2019.02.014.
Feel free to share your own Foghorns, Flotsam, Jetsam, Lagan, Shipping News, Driftwood, and Derelicts in the comments below. If you enjoy Southern Fried Science, consider contributing to our Patreon campaign. For just $5 per month, you can support the SFS Writers Fund, which helps compensate your favorite ocean science and conservation bloggers for their efforts.
My Safari browser doesnt support the streaming media for the ISA conference. called something like tokbox …Is it legit?
The link provided is legit.