Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Follow environmental social scientist Angela Dean on twitter!
- Ice free passage for ships could cause problems for marine mammals. From MongaBay
- Bone scraps hint at whale harvest by ancient Romans. From Nature News.
- The Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and and Transportation is holding a hearing entitled “SHARKS!” “We don’t see many in South Dakota” says chair John Thune.
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- Symphony of the salmon: How scientists are learning by putting fish migration to music. By Kevin Davenport, for the Idaho Statesman.
- Island of Coral Resilience Shows Hope – and Limits – for Reefs’ Future. By Jessica Leber, for OceansDeeply
- Krill fishing firms back Antarctic sanctuary. By Matthew Taylor, for the Guardian.
- Fish Fried: What Rio Grande Drought Means for Endangered Silvery Minnows. By Maggie Grimason, for Revelator.
- New Surveys Give a Clearer Picture of Recreational Fishing. By Meredith Moore, for the Ocean Conservancy blog.
- Rats are wreaking havoc on our coral reefs and reducing fish numbers. By Nick Kilvert, for ABC news.
Please add your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!
If you appreciate my shark research and conservation outreach, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Any amount is appreciated, and supporters get exclusive rewards!