“The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Summer is here, and with it comes the perennial ocean explosion that is Shark Week. Last year, in response to Shark Week burn out (heck, David and I even published a paper on it) and being tired of becoming the saltiest of wet blankets during a week where people are excited about the oceans, we launched #JacquesWeek! #JacquesWeek is an online alternative the Shark Week. We sourced and screened Jacques Cousteau documentaries from the early years all the way through his later works and provide context and discussion from an array of marine scientists and explorers.
From June 26 to July 1, we’ll feature classic Cousteau films, hold Twitter discussions, and host a few hangouts with experts to discuss these films and help put them into context. As with last year, we will try to provide as many free options as possible (due to some very complex issues surrounding copyright, the Cousteau estate, a production company that no longer exists, and some fascinating interpersonal politics, many of Cousteau’s earlier films are de facto public domain) but we will also be drawing from his later series: The Jacques Cousteau Odyssey, Jacques Cousteau Pacific Explorations and Jacques Cousteau River Explorations which you will have to track down on DVD (but don’t worry, alternate suggestions are also provided)
Are you ready for adventure?
Sunday, June 26
- 8:00 PM EST The Undersea World Of Jacques Cousteau – Search In The Deep
- 9:00 PM EST The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau – Savage World of the Coral Jungle
Monday, June 27
- 7:45 PM EST An introduction to the Silent World (Facebook Live)
- 8:00 PM EST The Silent World
- 10:15 PM EST Online discussion of The Silent World and what it means for modern ocean conservation and exploration (Facebook Live and Twitter).
Tuesday, June 28
- 8:00 PM EST The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau – Octopus, Octopus
- 9:00 PM EST River Explorations – Amazon: River of Gold
- 10:00 PM EST Jean-Michel Cousteau talks at Rio+20
Wednesday, June 29
- 8:00 PM EST Odyssey – Blind Prophets of Easter Island
- 9:00 PM EST The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau – Lagoon of Lost Ships
- 10:00 PM EST Pacific Explorations – Papua New Guinea: Into the Time Machine
Thursday, June 30
- 8:00 PM EST The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau – The Legend of Lake Titicaca
- 9:00 PM EST The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau – The Dragons of Galapagos
- 10:00 PM EST THROWBACK THURSDAY: Jacques Cousteau interview on Charlie Rose (1991)
- 10:25 PM EST THROWBACK THURSDAY: John Denver talks about Jacques Cousteau and Sings Calypso
Friday, July 1
- 8:00 PM EST Pacific Explorations – Australia: The Last Barrier
- 9:00 PM EST The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau – The Coral Divers of Corsica
- 10:00 PM EST The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau – South to Fire and Ice
Join us on Twitter using the hashtag #JacquesWeek as we relive these classics epics of underwater adventure, discovery, and exploration.