Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Watch how slowly this Greenland shark swims, from a NOAA Okeanos video. These sharks have the slowest swimming speed ever measured in a fish.
- Follow sawfish conservation expert Dr. Tonya Wiley-Lescher @TonyaRWileyL on twitter!
- A Florida State research team, with help from our friends at Field School, became the first people to witness a sawfish birth in the wild. Watch the video!
- While we’re talking about “fake news,” people are questioning how appropriate it is for scientific journals to publish humorous (but not fake) studies. What do you think?
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- The 2016 edition of Living Alongside Wildlife’s annual list of the animals that went extinct this year is online. by David Steen
- While we’re mourning tragic celebrity deaths of 2016, don’t forget these influential women in science who died this year. by Maia Weinstock
Feel free to share your own cuttings and spoils in the comments below!