Foghorn (A Call to Action!)
- We have a new National Ocean Policy and it is exactly as bad as you would expect. I’m at the International Marine Conservation Congress (the largest ocean conservation meeting in the world) and not a single ocean professional from anywhere on the political spectrum thinks this new Ocean Policy is a good idea.
- Follow along with the International Marine Conservation Congress on Instagram, Oceansocial.us, and Twitter.
Flotsam (what we’re obsessed with right now)
Jetsam (what we’re enjoying from around the web)
- Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross Denies Insider Trading in Short Sale of Russia-Linked Shipping Company. And then: Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross Short Sale of Kremlin-Linked Shipping Firm Navigator Holdings Wins Ethics Approval. This seems fine and normal and on the level.
- First Manta Ray Nursery Ever Discovered Shows Marine Protected Areas Matter.
- Beyond the Great Barrier Reef: Bleaching Undoes India Coral Restoration.
- This week in oceanbites:
- Hello, Lucky! Rare cotton candy-colored lobster named “Lucky” escapes pot, now lives in an aquarium.
- Giant Clam Shells May Help Predict Future Tropical Storms.
- Bottlenose dolphin attack shatters Flipper illusions.
Lagan (what we’re reading from the peer-reviewed literature)
- Taylor and friends (2018) Comparative demography of commercially-harvested snappers and an emperor from American Samoa. DOI: 10.7717/peerj.5069.
- Martinez and friends (2018) Assessing the movements of American horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus) around a marine protected area in Cape Cod, MA, USA. DOI:10.1016/j.ecss.2018.06.016.
- Stewart and friends (2018) Important juvenile manta ray habitat at Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico. DOI: 10.1007/s00227-018-3364-5.
- Gusmao and friends (2018) No reef-associated gradient in the infaunal communities of Rapa Nui (Easter Island) – Are oceanic waves more important than reef predators? DOI: 10.1016/j.ecss.2018.06.019.
- Richardson (2018) Mining and Development: Examining the effectiveness of mining company community development intervention in New Ireland Province, Papua New Guinea. THESIS.
Driftwood (what we’re reading on dead trees)
- Rest: Why You Get More Done When You Work Less by Alex Soojung-Kim Pang. Essential reading for all academics.
Feel free to share your own Foghorns, Flotsam, Jetsam, Lagan, Shipping News, Driftwood, and Derelicts in the comments below. If you enjoy Southern Fried Science, consider contributing to our Patreon campaign. For just $5 per month, you can support the SFS Writers Fund, which helps compensate your favorite ocean science and conservation bloggers for their efforts.