Cuttings (short and sweet):
- Watch aquarists at the PPG Aquarium at the Pittsburgh zoo target train a zebra shark so it comes when it’s called
- Follow PNG Sharks and Rays, a twitter account associated with a project studying “one of the last frontiers of marine biodiversity research,” on twitter.
- 5 things you should know about the Marine Mammal Protection Act. By Katie Hogge, for the Ocean Conservancy blog.
- First vaquita “rescued” in effort to save the species. By John Cannon, for MongaBay.
Spoils (long reads and deep dives):
- With cod making a comeback, Newfoundland looks to Iceland for the best ways to catch it. By Jane Adey, for CBC news.
- Fishermen try to outsmart bait-stealing seabirds to save them. By Tom Banse, for the Northwest News Network.
- Ocean acidification poses a deadly threat to marine life. By Fiona Harvey, for the Guardian.
Share your own cuttings and spoils in the comments!
If you appreciate my shark research and conservation outreach, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Any amount is appreciated.